Sunday, February 5, 2017

Olivia Marchelska
Technology 1015
Homework

Chapter 5 Blog


            Chapter five of the textbook “Transforming Learning with New Technologies” is entitled “Teaching Information Literacy and Digital Citizenship” and focuses on how teachers can use the Internet to help students research information which will allow them to become responsible digital citizens. One important thing I took out from this chapter was the definition of information literacy. According to the American Library Association, information literacy is “the ability to recognize when information is needed and to then have the ability to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the needed information.” One way to gain information literacy is through the use of the internet. With the Internet, the availability of information outside the classroom is wide open. The Internet is a powerful tool for education and a positive force in their children's lives, which is why teachers must understand how to incorporate it properly in the classroom. Teachers should make sure they investigate the quality of this homework help before recommending a website to students to increase student safety. The textbook recoomends using webistes and search engines that are specifically made for education and student use. Even though Google is great at times because you can find anything on there, that is dangerous for students because not everything should be seen by their eyes. A few websites that the chapter mentions and some that I discovered by myself are: https://duckduckgo.com (an alternative search engine that does not track user information), www.bigchalk.com (Education search engine for students, teachers and parents), www.education-world.com (general education search engine), www.awesomelibrary.org (search engine of carefully reviewed top 5% of education web resources), and www.ipl.org (library of online resources). Using the Internet can make teachers' lives easier and can offer more material and resources for students. The Internet is a way for students and teachers to discover new ideas and to connect with others.

Questions to Ask

1)How can I make sure my students stay focused on the lesson topic when using computers?
2)Can I use websites such as online journals to accommodate my lessons for all students?
3)What do I do when a student does not have access to a computer or tablet at home?
Some websites safe for student-use

6 comments:

  1. Great post. I agree that the Internet is a powerful tool and teachers need to know how to effectively incorporate in the classrooms. I definitely agree that the Internet can make a teacher's life easier. It's also a great way for the students to share ideas with each other. The questions you came up with are very important too. Thanks for including some safe websites for students to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia,

    I like how you incorporated different search engines that in a way filter things that children should not see. Google is a very popular search engine but should definitely be used wisely around students. The Internet is a beneficial way to enhance education and curriculum because it brings about new ideas concerning the elements of teaching and student learning. Very informative post!

    Sabrina Grimaudo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia,
    I love your search engine suggestions. I think that there is a huge gap between what is age/ school appropriate in terms of websites and search engines and what isn't and its unfortunate that many schools block internet connection as a way to censor the inappropriate information that may end up being displayed in the classroom. Safety of the students should be a top priority!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oliva, I love that you provided engine suggestions for students and teachers to use. You make many great points that researching is important for the classroom. How students websites are filters and how they decide what website they are going to use is important to review with students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olivia, Wonderful post! This sentence stuck out to me: "The Internet is a powerful tool for education and a positive force in their children's lives, which is why teachers must understand how to incorporate it properly in the classroom." This is so true, the Internet is extremely resourceful for students and it is up to us to make sure they use it well for educational purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Olivia,

    I agree that Google can sometimes be dangerous in the classroom because you never know what you're going to get. After reading your post, I hope I can use those search engines in my classroom when my students are writing informative essays and research essays.

    ReplyDelete