Saturday, February 11, 2017

Using New Technologies in the Classroom

Chapter 4
            Chapter four of the textbook “Transforming Learning with New Technologies” is entitled “Designing Lessons and Developing Curriculum with Technology” and focuses on how teachers propose, provide, and assess lessons that involve students and teach academic matter while incorporating technology into all features of lesson design and development. One thing that really stood out to me in this chapter was the example lesson in science that focused on Rainscapes Show the Water Cycle. This lesson would be an elementary school science lesson and the central focus of it would be “By studying the water cycle, children understand how water is naturally recycled from the earth’s surfaces to the atmosphere and back again, changing from liquid to gas and back to liquid.” I think this lesson is great because is allows students to conduct and engage in an active activity. Students would learn what happens to water in different settings by their own experiment, which is great since the students are discovering this by themselves. 
            Another idea that stood out to me in this chapter was assessing and evaluating students. The chapter stated that one of the most popular ways teachers think about assessment is through personal experience, which I never noticed before but I definitely agree with. As students, we had assessments that we either enjoyed or disliked, so as teachers, the ones we liked would be the ones we would want to use in our future classroom since it worked well for us as students. However, the problem with this is that teachers do not automatically envision using portfolios, creative writing, group work, and more, if they never were assessed in those ways. A teacher must be open to all kinds of assessments because different assessments may work better for different students. Instead of using boring and annoying performance assessments to check student progress, a teacher should be open in using assessments that SHOW what a student has learned, which includes a product, performance, and presentation.
Questions I Have
1)Can I evaluate my student progress by both performance assessment as well as standard based assessments?
2)How can I create a rubric that will accurately include how to assess student performance, what student needs to do to meet certain criteria, while being fair to all students? Can I use differentiation in assessments too?
3)If a state makes standard assessments mandatory to measure the knowledge of students before, during, and after teaching lessons, can I include a performance assessment with it that students may enjoy more?



Chapter 8

            Chapter 8 of the textbook “Communicating and Collaborating with Social Media” is entitled “Communicating and Collaborating with Social Media” and focuses on how teachers can use different technology tools as teaching and learning tools. Even though technology tools for communication as been around for many years, it has not been used previously to the extent that it could be used. Some communication electronic tools include email, classroom websites, blogs, and more. Email is a great way for teachers to reach out to parents and vice versa especially since now, most people have phones that allow automatic emails to be received and will notify the person when they get a new email. Also, not only is it quick and convenient, I believe emails are better because they make both the teacher and parent more comfortable as meeting in face may be intimidating to both. Also, emails are organized by date, so if a parent is trying to find an email where the teacher mentioned something, they will be more successful than trying to remember what the teacher told them months ago about their child. Even though the textbook did not explicitly mention this, another tool I think would be helpful would be a class or school Facebook page, or something along those lines. Parents always wonder what is going on in school, and it may be time consuming to keep each parent up to date with the lessons, activities, trips, assemblies and more. However if the class or school had a Facebook, parents would wonder less about what is going on at school. When everyone is in the loop, at-home conversations about schoolwork are more productive. Parents also become more invested to work with teachers together to help their kids succeed.  A school or classroom Facebook would allow teachers to have more time and energy to focus on in-class learning as they only have to update Facebook once whenever something needs to be added as a reminder or overall message. Even though these ways of communication may seem weird to try because they are different, I believe both parents and teachers should try them out because in the long run, it will be beneficial towards the student.

Questions I Have

1)What do I do if a parent does not have the technology to use an app or website that I have set up with the classroom?
2)Should I include students in online discussions with teachers and parents, or should I just keep it between teachers and parents?
3)How can I stay safe and private on the online classroom while still allowing each parent to understand where their child is, and what progress their child has made?



6 comments:

  1. Olivia,
    While I was reading the chapter 4, assessing and evaluating students stood out to me too. I agree that teachers need to be open to using different kinds of assessments because each student is different. One kind of assessment may work for one student but it may not work for another student. I agree that email is a great way for the parents and teachers to communicate. You mentioned how emails are arranged by dates. Now, I see why that's important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia,
    I agree that technology as a tool for assessment can improve students' learning experience. I also feel the questions you have are important to consider. Educators must ask how technology can be effective. Another important question you posed was in regard to families not having technology as a resource. Educators must think of this and come up ways to accommodate students who may not have access to technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Olivia, I too enjoyed the lesson mentioned in chapter 4. It was engaging and a great time for both students and teachers. You are right, teachers need to be open to new things in order for it to be more enjoyable for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Olivia!
    Great post, I enjoyed reading it. We have similar points. In Chapter 8, I also discussed the importance of email. Nowadays, email is important as it is the easiest and fastest way to communicate. As students get older, they will get into the habit of using emails to communicate with their teachers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olivia,

    Great post! I like how you gave an example from chapter 4 mentioning the idea of assessing and evaluating students. The chapter stated that one of the most popular ways teachers think about assessment is through personal experience.

    You stated, "As students, we had assessments that we either enjoyed or disliked, so as teachers, the ones we liked would be the ones we would want to use in our future classroom since it worked well for us as students. However, the problem with this is that teachers do not automatically envision using portfolios, creative writing, group work, and more, if they never were assessed in those ways."

    I agree with this as well. Teachers need to think outside their comfort zones and incorporate new ways to learn in the classroom that show more of students critical thinking. For example portfolios will show a student progress and process. I think that is a really good way to assess students which should be taken into account before teachers use their personal experiences when teaching.

    Sabrina Grimaudo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Olivia. I think this is a really great and well thought out blog post. I like your ideas of emails being organized and a great way to reach out to parents. From the experiences I've had in student teaching, I feel like many parents don't check their emails and teachers wind up calling anyway. I also see how email is a problem because there are some parents who email teachers every single day. I think email's are also a good way to keep everything in writing just incase anything ever happens you have sort of a "paper trail"

    ReplyDelete