Olivia Marchelska
Technology Class
Homework
Blog on Chapter 1 and Chapter 2
Chapter 1
of the textbook “Transforming Learning with New Technologies” is entitled
“Becoming a 21st Century Teacher” focuses on what teachers need to
create to allow students to gain valid learning experiences that are both
engaging and educational. I enjoyed reading this chapter because I personally
view myself as an old school teacher, however I am open to learning different
ways I can incorporate technology in my classroom and hope to do that in the
future. One important thing the chapter focused on is that there are many
technology tools that will help a teacher accomplish something. For example,
inside the classroom a teacher can use internet to research, PowerPoint to express
ideas, different educational software, teacher-made blogs, and more. These
tools will help present an academic and interactive learning environment for
the students in the classroom. There are also technology tools that are helpful
outside the classroom such as grade/attendance recordkeeping, professional
correspondence, research, home-school communication, and more. These tools
allow a teacher to be organized with outside items and make it easier to manage
their professional responsibilities. There is a new term that is used in the 21st
century to express the different skills, and it is TPACK, which stands for
Technological pedagogical content knowledge. Technological knowledge focuses on
understand how to use different technology tools and resources while being able
to apply it correctly at work and everyday life. Pedagogical knowledge focuses
on the teaching methods and practices that include overall educational
purposes, values, and aims. Lastly, content knowledge is based on the subject
matter that will be learned or taught. In order for teachers to introduce a
TPACK environment, they should create a learning environment where there are
various opportunities for both teachers and students to understand and apply
their technology skills.
Chapter two
is entitled “Understanding Educational Technology Issues and Trends” and
focuses on ways that technology may open up for students that will facilitate
student creativity and learning. One thing that interested me in this chapter
was the ways that technology changes both teaching and learning. The ways
included: differentiating instruction to offer students diverse learning
experiences, motivating disengaged individuals, creating group and cooperative
learning situations, and more. I believe that differentiating instruction to
offer students diverse learning experiences offers inclusion. Differentiation allows teachers to focus on
essential skills in each content area, be open to individual distinctions, include
assessment into instruction, and provide students with several paths to
learning. Motivating disengaged individuals is helpful because it allows students as much
control over their own education as possible, which will encourage them to
work. Creating group and cooperative learning situations pursue outcomes that are beneficial to students
themselves and beneficial to all other group members. These are only a few ways
technology changes teaching in both enriching and productive ways and I believe
that teachers should use these ways because they will expand technology and
make it a tool that will allow students to become experienced.
Both of these chapters offered key
points that show how technology changes learning experiences and how it is
effective for students in the 21st century in both school and life.
Questions I Can Ask
1)How will I be able to implement TPACK in my class and have students understand it as well?
2)How can I become familiar with technology tools and get familiar with them myself before using them in the classroom?
3)In what ways can I use differentiation in the classroom while allowing every student a fair shot?

Olivia!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I liked how you included the image. I too would like to learn more about TPACK so I can implement it in my classroom. Technology can make such a difference to a lesson and I want to make sure I present it in the best way possible.
Great post. I think it's great that you are willing to learn different ways to integrate technology in the classroom. Some teachers may be intimidated to use technology in the classroom. Technology can be a way to motivate students who aren't always engaged in the lessons. You came up with some good questions too.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Olivia!
ReplyDeleteI like how you incorporated different types of ways technology can be incorporated. You gave an example of research on internet which made me think of research for a Loyalist and Patriot assignment that students could do. I also like the circle graph you incorporated. Technology is beneficial for all students because it is a skill they will need in the future.
Sabrina Grimaudo
Olivia, I loved how you put the graphic organizer into your post because I am all about visuals and that was a great visual to your post. Your post made me want to learn more about TPACK. I know you said in your post that some teachers may be stuck in "old ways," even us but I feel like we need to break old ways and habits and let this new and innovative ways come into our classrooms.
ReplyDeleteOlivia I liked how you incorporated an image in your post. The graphic organizer was relevant to the content you explained and the visual was a great reference. The questions that you asked about the content were questions that educators should consider when planning.
ReplyDelete