Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Blog- Chapter 7

            Chapter 7 of the textbook “Transforming Learning with New Technologies” is entitled “Exploring Problem Solving with Software, Apps, and Games”. This chapter focuses how educational apps, web-based tools, and more can be beneficial when promoting problem solving and inquiry learning. Problem solving and inquiry learning relates to educational activities where students make predictions, ask questions, and try out theories. These types of activities are important because it allows the student to explore and discover new ideas by themselves. Some of the steps in inquiry learning that can be strengthened with use of technology include:
-Problem solving with many possible solutions
-Goal of functional knowledge with cognitive flexibility
-Self-directed learning
-Collaboration
-Taking ownership with active, engaged learning
-Building a habit of reflection in all learning experiences

Technology can be useful in increasing this points because educational softwares, such as EvaluTech, StopBadware.org, and Edudemic Directory, can all be used to support problem solving and inquiry learning. Even basic softwares such as Microsoft Word and Excel are extremely helpful when composing and calculating ideas. For example, using Word and Excel can increase levels of proficiency in each area in elementary and even secondary school. Another website that truly fascinated me when I was younger is Google Earth, and I believe it is a great interactive tool that kids can use. With Google Earth, students can browse casually on their own or engage in structured inquiry-based explorations individually or in teams. The data that is found on maps can be used in combination with any other data made available to the students to increase inquiry-based learning. I would love to use Google Earth in the classroom especially because it is a great site that would definitely spark student interest. I find it interesting how some of the sites that I used to use and like, are great ways of expanding inquiry-based learning.
Inquiry-based Learning


Questions
1. Should students be aware when they are using inquiry-based learning? or should that be kept to the teacher?
2. How can I try to implement inquiry-based learning at home and not only at school?
3. Can I have students involve in designing, using, and evaluating technology in all lessons?


1 comment:

  1. Olivia, I like how you dove deeper into Google Earth, I feel that although it is a great tool for social studies or even science, it isn't utilized as often as it should be. unfortunately there are so many excellent resources out there but because technology isn't welcomed into classrooms as much as it should be many of these resources go untouched.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete