Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Chapter 10- Success Through Technology

     Chapter ten of the textbook is entitled "Promoting Success for All Students Through Technology". This chapter focuses on how computer tools and technologies can create and strengthen opportunities for students and teachers. The opportunities would include learning opportunities and would help meet the learning requirements for all students. For example, technology tools can be highly beneficial for students that have disabilities or special needs. This allows them multiple techniques to learn material and also helps teachers incorporate all their students into a lesson. This is a great way of differentiation.
        The chapter also focuses on ideas for integrating technology into the teaching of writing. One of the ideas given is that as teachers we are to convince students that they are writers and that they must believe that the words and pictures that are in their heads are interesting. This allows students to be creative since imagination will be helpful in retelling a story or analyzing a story. Inspiring and energizing students to write is highly important and it means individualizing the parts of writing.  What this means is that writing should be not all mumbled up together, but it should be separated and organized. One way to do so is to read aloud a story and meanwhile explain to the children why they the author used the type of grammar they used. This made me think of a method that I use with my students called RISE. RISE” is part of pathways to comprehension and stands for: Read the story, Illustrate your favorite part of the story, Sequence the pictures, and Enact a scene with your group. This method is a creative to have students retell the story in written or oral language.  Retelling helps readers recall what is happening in the story, develop a sense of story structure, and become more accurate in monitoring their understanding.  This can be incorporated with technology as many websites offer great note taking ideas.

     Teaching children with several technologies can benefit them in many ways. I believe that every teacher should include more learning styles or technologies when teaching a lesson if available of course. One thing that stood out to me was how the chapter noted that when calculating, you use different methods in teaching your students how to calculate and not have them relying on calculators. This stood out to me because as I was older, all my math classes relied on using calculators and it was needed as an everyday tool. While technology should definitely be integrated in the classroom, I do believe there can be too much use of it as well.

Three questions to ask
1)What apps or technology tools can I use in the classroom to increase ideas that students develop when writing?
2)How can I make sure that the tools and technologies will not cause a distraction in the classroom?
3)How can I use technology to incorporate diversity in the classroom?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia,
    Great post! I agree that it's very important that teachers incorporate the different learning styles and different technologies into their lessons. However, for some lessons it might be difficult. I like that you mentioned calculating and how teachers teach students the process of calculating rather than just having them rely on the calculators. I completely agree that technology is important to use but it can be used too much which may not be good for the students who have different learning styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia!
    Great post! I love the idea of RISE. I agree, there are many websites that this can go well with. And, with incorporating RISE with technology, it can be a great learning experience for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Oliva, you're right it is very important for teachers to meet all the needs of his or her students and technology can help make this a lot easier. The RISE is a great idea because when incorporated with technology it is a great learning experience.

    Magdalena Dinsmore


    P.S i love the photo you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia,
    I liked how you pointed out the strategy to convince students that what they have to write about is wanted. This will show students that their words are as important as an authors in a book. I also liked your RISE method for comprehension. I think it is a very organized method in which the students can attack a text from different angles.
    Great post!
    Nesrin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olivia,

    Great post! I really liked how you mentioned how computer tools and technologies can create and strengthen opportunities for students and teachers specifically how technology tools can be beneficial for students with disabilities. These students can be taught multiple ways to learn material. I also liked how you mentioned technology tools can include all students in the lesson. I also really like what the textbook included by promoting creativity in writing, convincing the students they're writers and that their thoughts and assumptions are important. This can be beneficial in teaching students how to be creative and to create self-esteem for the students. I agree that teachers should include multiple learning styles and technologies when teaching to benefit all students.

    ReplyDelete