Social Bookmarking in the
Classroom
Chapter 6 of the textbook is entitled “Fostering Online Learning
with Educational Websites and Apps” and focuses on using web-based information
to manage digital content, including social bookmarking and cloud computing. Social
bookmarking is a way for people to store, organize, search, and manage
“bookmarks” of web pages. Users save links to web pages that they like or want
to share, using a social bookmarking site to store these links. There are many resources
and apps linked with social bookmarking; a few of them include Delicious,
netTrekker Search, and Goodreads. I never heard of these sites, except for
Goodreads. I actually do use Goodreads to keep track of my books that I read as
well as what books I want to read in the future. I never thought of using this site in the
classroom, however it would make sense to use it as it allows you to organize
your favorite books online. This would be a great tool for students to keep
their reading books organized, as well as the levels of the books so that improvement
can easily be seen. Another resources for social bookmarking is Delicious.
Delicious is a website that allows students to catalog their books and therefore
keeps track of the books. Even though I never thought of using online libraries
in the classroom, after reading this chapter I believe that it is truly
beneficial for students to use especially because it is user friendly and a
great way at being organized. These websites are great to use as reading logs, but I think
this may be a more resourceful way to get students motivated and it will keep
me from dealing with the student who lost their reading log.
Questions I Have
1)Can I make a Social Bookmarking class limited just to one
class?
2)How can I encourage student use of these websites and apps
when reading a book or story?
3)Can I make Goodreads or other websites available to parent use
as well in order to allow them to know what their child has to read?
Olivia,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I agree that bookmarking can be a great way to stay organize and store information. Like you, I never thought that using an online library while teaching could be helpful in the classroom. However, after reading your post and the chapter, I see why it can be a great tool. The questions you raised are definitely important ones too.
Hello Olivia! Wonderful post!!!
ReplyDeleteI love bookmarks when I am personally searching things on the web because it helps me keep track of everything especially when I am doing research on a specific topic and find a really good website that I would want to refer back to. I have never thought about using bookmarks in the classroom for educational purposes until the textbook, and just like you I was not aware of all the awesome websites that exist for this purpose! I was also intrigued by Goodreads and it does make a lot of sense to use it as a tool in the classroom. To answer your third question I feel like Goodreads would be a terrific way to keep parents informed and up to date with what students are reading and will read!
Hi Olivia!
ReplyDeleteYou made some really good points. I like that you stated, "I actually do use Goodreads to keep track of my books that I read as well as what books I want to read in the future." Its interesting to know that you have used this site yourself and that it is really beneficial in a classroom because its purpose is to organize favorite books. I also agree that these websites are great to use for reading logs because my class that I student teach for now has a paper reading log and I just feel it would be better if it was over the internet through this website so parents can keep track of what their students are reading. Great post!
Sabrina Grimaudo
Hi Olivia!
ReplyDeleteGreat points, I also discussed social bookmarking. Like you said, it is a great way to keep everything organized. I also liked how you related this to something you use: Goodreads. There are many tools online that we can introduce to the students. It is important that we do because they will benefit from them.
Hey this is a great post! I agree that social bookmarking is useful especially with organization. These tools should be used whenever possible so I think its awesome that you use Goodreads! These tools benefit both teachers and students as they create new ways for information to be recorded and shared.
ReplyDeleteOlivia, I really like how you gave examples of the different platforms for organizing information. I especially liked Delicious. It reminds me of the platform we used in class, Symbaloo. I think it is a great way to collect book lists in a single organized page.
ReplyDelete